September 19, 2014

Let the y'alls commence: Hi from Tennessee!

A rad gal doing some warping at Arrowmont back in the day (via Wikipedia).


I have arrived in the Great Smoky Mountains. Gatlinburg is a little bit Dolly, a little bit Disney, a little bit Vegas, and a little bit Twilight Zone. In my first half hour here I sampled ten different kinds of wine out of plastic shot glasses, which mostly tasted like Capri Sun mixed with alcohol. I think my favorite was the 'Redneck Riesling'. Ahem. Every third store on the main strip appears to sell either moonshine or fudge, which I suppose is alright by me. I plan on spending most of my time in the studio anyway.

Passing through Asheville on the way here was bittersweet; I felt like I was going back to Penland. Fingers crossed I will be able to return there in the spring and weave again. My classes here at Arrowmont have been switched around a little bit so I am now taking: a silk marbling class, a mixed media bookbinding class, and a paper cutting class. I'm most excited for silk marbling. Originally I was going to take photo screen-printing, which unfortunately got cancelled at the last minute. Breakfast is at 7:30am tomorrow (oh god), followed by orientation the rest of the day.

For the love of making... here it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment